Monday, May 3, 2010

My Favorite Season

It is the first of May, the beginning of one of my favorite times of year, and a period of renewal and reflection. I was asked recently which season was my favorite? In times past I would have been alacritous in my response but as the tempering of age settles upon me I am not so quick to choose. I now find beauty and pleasure in all of the seasons.

Spring has the promise of newness. I love flowers! They are proof of God’s attention to detail. Daffodils are among my favorites because they are delicate in texture and color yet robust enough to break through the snow and frozen ground. They are like trumpets that herald the coming of spring and new life. The colors of this season are a symphony. Magnificent! Wisteria hangs heavy from their hosts over the river, bright and plump like grapes, seducing all with their enchantingly sweet aroma. Cherry tree and Dogwood blossoms make their debut. The tiny wild flowers, so small as to leave no impression of their own, paint the countryside in hues of lavender and butter. Spring is also the time of year to go hunting. Yes, I am a hunter, though my prey are Morel mushrooms. Starting around late March and lasting until late April the Morels are up here in Georgia. They are a culinary delight. Hunting Morels is the adult version of hunting Easter eggs only better because of the long hikes that are required through the woods.

Summer has pleasant long days and warm nights. The vegetable garden is in full gear. Tee shirts, shorts and flip-flops are my casual attire. The ardent summer sun massages away all reminders of an indifferent vernal equinox and warms my needy bones. This is the season for cook-outs and block parties, fireworks displays and sprinklers. The air is scented with the fragrant smell of a freshly mown lawns as children and dogs run and play. Fireflies light up the forest inducing a magical air and a reminder of Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Nights Dream”. Kayaking trips down the Broad River and fishing in the neighborhood pond are activities to look forward to, regardless of whether or not they are actually achieved! Summer vacation means one thing; road trips. Time to traverse along the winding stretch of black tar ribbon in search of new adventure and discovery.

Autumn begins with fresh crisp air that tingles the skin. It is a bittersweet time as it spells the end of long days and warm nights but promises an impressive display of dazzling colors! It's this time of year that my taste for spices comes alive. Pumpkin pies are soon to be enjoyed, and hot chocolate! Mmmmmm. As the colder temperatures start to imbrue their overtones on the landscape, sweaters and coats begin to appear. The smell of wood being consumed in a fireplace as the sinewy fingers of smoke reach up and tickle the sky promises a warm hearth to retreat to when playing in the leaves ceases to be fun. One of the benefits of cold weather is that you have to get closer to the ones you love for warmth! Being a high touch person, this appeals to me.

Winter
brings with it the promise of snow. I love snow! Standing in the woods while everything is white and the flakes are falling is near heaven to me. It’s a scene that burns bright in my memory and can be reflected upon throughout the year with ease. I wish we experienced just a little bit more of it here. The cold months bring out some favorite clothes, including hats. I like hats. Very few look good on me but the two that I have, a fedora and a Flat Cap, I like . I only wear ball caps when my hair is a mess or if it's raining. I don't care much for them, though they look cute on the girls. During Winter’s possession, many hours are lost to the timeless dark of evening. These are some of the best times to cuddle up with a favorite book, or explore new ones. A hot beverage, domestic fire dancing at the base of the chimney, snow visiting the window sill, and a quality book. Life is good!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the journey. I think I will come back and be reminded of the beauty and tranquility of nature... love it, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete